This post is also available in: Deutsch (German)
With admiration and fascination, the abilities of a fighter are often used as model or ideal from beginners. The initiative for the enthusiasm comes more or less from relating to the models heroic deeds. The care and self-discipline and anything else needed to become a fighter in future forms a will and a motto for the student.
In time and through the given possibilities it is of course possible to learn the fighting art and abilities successfully. On the other hand, the experience and maturity gained on this way will at the latest, then lead to pensiveness whether the fighting knowledge and the abilities are the only qualities of a fighter, provided that the student has not realized this before.
The elementary thoughts which led to the development of different traditional fighting systems were basically orientated to three concrete aims. The first one was the creation of a method for protection and against attacks of different animals.
The second aim developed parallel to social formation. It was the instrument of power for territorial sovereignty and against fellow men. Consequently, the third aim resulted and was meant for protection against violence of fellow men in society. So the different and optimal techniques of the particular fighting systems developed.
In the present period of social coexistence not only the number of people increased but also the complexity and the general conditions to exist and survive have changed. The difficulty of danger from animals almost doesn´t exist no more. The social instrument of power has been replaced for a long time by new technologies. And its effects exceed any kind of personal size.
The conventional instrument of power became restructured to economic activity and/or operated as competition sport. Merely as a traditional instrument for protection the fighting systems have necessity and are used against a decreasing number of arbitrary infringements by fellow men.
In modern society, the existence of the fighting knowledge, created as an instrument for protection with defensive character, has three essential meanings.
The first one remains the protective meaning in form of self-defense systems. The second is the historical meaning that contains information about its development and the evolution of society from a cultural point of view. The third one refers to the ideal and character traits of the ancestors who have created this instrument of protection as humans.
The philosophical model, the belief in good, and the fundamentals of mentality as well as humanity were handed down as parts of the fighting knowledge and exist as inestimable values in society.
The teaching method has not only to handle the difficulty of an abuse of this knowledge but rather has to differentiate between those who are able to use the knowledge and those who master it.
Indeed, the fighting knowledge is a kind of instrument made for a specific purpose but it is the user himself who must decide how to utilize it. Someone who uses the fighting knowledge in a way in which it wasn´t intended to be used is called as practitioner of the fighting knowledge. Only the one who uses it according to its aim is regarded as a fighter of the system.
A fighter is a person who is troubled to have a good look at the character traits of the creators of the fighting system. He attempts to combine the possibility of knowledge and the translation of the ideal with the criterion of humanity and understanding for his personal learning process. All this is described as the virtue of a fighter.
It is said:
- The philosophy of a fight is that, he who needs the fight has no control over it. He who controls it has no need of it!
- The quality of a fighter’s abilities is not measured from the beginning, or from somewhere during the course of a fight, but in what way he brings the fight to an end!
- The art of fighting is made of a harmony between ability and intellect, like the harmony of a melody being formed by an instrument and singing!
- Tragic occurrences related to the fighting arts result from meetings between those who erroneously considered themselves to be fighters!
- A fighter’s personality and character traits become visible in his way of fighting!
- The fighter’s ideal is demonstrated if he can react to defend against an attack without further involving himself in the fight!
- A senseless fight is caused by emotions, either those of the fighter, or those of his nemesis!
- A last possibility to justify the fight exists if all other chances for forgiveness or renunciation have been exhausted!
- To believe that victory is imminent is the first and last mistake that a fighter can make during a fight!
- He was a great fighter before his first fight began, and he was still alive!
Pahuyuth – The origin of Thai fighting | Traditional Fighting Knowledge | School in Berlin, Germany | Pahuyuth.com | #Pahuyuth